CONNECT WITH LOU
Lou Guerrero, CPA, MBT
PRINCIPAL — TAX PRACTICE LEADER
Luis (Lou) Guerrero is Vice President of KROST CPAs & Consultants and is a co-founder of KBKG, Tax Credits, Incentives, and Cost Recovery consulting firm. As the Tax Practice department leader for KROST, Lou is responsible for the overall tax function of the firm and specializes in clients in the financial services sector (hedge funds, money managers, private equity), family office and high net worth individuals, real estate, food service (restaurants and related), technology (including manufacturing and distribution) and professional service firms.
In addition, for KBKG, Lou is responsible for tax-related matters involving a team of engineers and tax professionals that address cost segregation, green energy tax incentives, employment-based tax credits, and other tax-related products.
After earning his undergraduate degree in business administration with an emphasis in finance and economics from California State University, Chico, Lou rounded out his formal education by completing the Accounting Program at the University of California at Santa Barbara and earned his master’s degree in business taxation from Golden Gate University.
Lou is a frequent speaker on cost segregation, 1031 exchanges, and research and development tax credits for his firm’s educational webinars series and for many other organizations, including the California Society of CPAs.
- KROST, Principal (January 1995 — Present), Tax Practice Leader (2005 — Present)
- KBKG, Principal (1999 — Present), Tax Practice Leader, Research Tax Credits Leader (2012 — Present)
- Deloitte LLP, Senior Tax Manager, Los Angeles (August 1984 — August 1992)
- Master in Business Taxation, Golden Gate University, 1990
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics with Emphasis in Accounting, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1984
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Finance and Economics, California State University, Chico, 1981
- PrimeGlobal — Mid-Tier Tax PLC Chair (2017 — Present)
- PrimeGlobal — Manufacturing & Distribution Group, Co-Chair (2013 — Present)
- Member of California Restaurant Association (1995 — Present)
- Member National Restaurant Association (1995 — Present)
- Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) (1986 — Present)
- Member of California Society of Certified Public Accountants (CalCPA) (1986 — Present)
- Southeast Ventura County YMCA Board Member (2017 — Present)
- Southeast Ventura County YMCA Campaign Committee (June 2017 — Present)
- Southeast Ventura County YMCA Finance Committee (June 2017 — Present)
- Westlake Baseball Association (2001 — 2007)
- Westlake Village Community Park & YMCA Fundraising Committee (2010 — 2013)
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (1992 — Present)
- Hispanic Professional Roundtable, AAHCPA, Alternate Representative (1990 — 1991)
- Westlake Baseball Association
- Agoura Baseball Foundation
- NJB Westlake Basketball
Lou's Thought Leadership
Update #3: IRS Tax Relief on California Storm Victims
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has once again extended the tax relief to California storm victims. The
Update #2: IRS Extends Filing Deadline for California Storm Victims: Tax Relief Available
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has issued another announcement as of CA-2023-02. The following modifications apply to
California Conformity Update: IRS Extends Filing Deadline for California Storm Victims: Tax Relief Available
The Governor’s office announced on January 13, 2023, that California will conform to the filing extensions granted
IRS Extends Filing Deadline for California Storm Victims: Tax Relief Available
On January 10, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced tax relief for California storm victims in most
Holding a Large Position in One Stock? Know Your Options: Exchange Funds
Do you have a large position in a publicly held company? Are you concerned about having a
Delays Continue – The IRS, the California Franchise Tax Board, and Tax Software
There are so many tax reporting deadlines and for the past two years, every time we came
AB150 Update – What do I do Now?
As previously communicated, recent updates to the State and Local Tax (SALT) workaround issued by the State
Did You Miss Your State Tax Deduction?
If you are a shareholder of an S Corporation, partner/member of a partnership/LLC, you might be able
Tax-Saving and Advisory Services for the Real Estate Industry
The real estate market can be volatile, full of risks and challenges. Real estate professionals should enlist
KROST Quarterly Magazine: The Financial Services Issue is Now Available!
We are happy to announce the release of our newest quarterly magazine! The Financial Services Issue highlights